Texas State University is joining the Flickr Commons to share images of their campus history and encourage users to help them identify photos that remain a mystery in its collections.
The first collection consists of negatives from several decades of the Texas State University football program that were recently transferred to the University Archives. Additional topics will be added, as the University Archives holds more than four decades of unidentified images. The library is excited that the social tagging feature of Flickr will allow the identification of people and events in the photos that would otherwise not be possible.
The University Archives selects, organizes, describes, preserves and makes available the institutional records that document the academics, administration, people, and culture of Texas State University, from its founding in 1899 to the present. Holdings include publications, financial records, meeting minutes, oral histories, photographic negatives, audio and video recordings, preservation copies of theses and dissertations, personal papers, artifacts, and memorabilia. The University Archives also holds material related the San Marcos Texas area, including the Aquarena Springs Resort, which was a popular tourist destination.
Texas State University is the only college in Texas to have graduated a U.S. president. Lyndon B. Johnson began his studies in San Marcos in 1927 and received a Bachelor of Science in History and a permanent High School Teaching Certificate in August 1930.
Authorized by the Texas Legislature in 1899, Southwest Texas State Normal School opened its doors in 1903. As Texas State’s student population has grown–from 303 in 1903 to more than 35,000 in 2013–the campus, too, has expanded and today Texas State is the sixth largest public university in the state.
Be sure to check out the Texas State University collections to share your comments and tags!