It’s been a few weeks since our last installment, but we’re back. Up today? Susan Mac. A resident of Manhattan, her photos (like those in Urban Elaborations) beautifully capture what it’s like to live in a such mythic city. Susan’s fans agree:
“her work leaves me breathless in a visual wake of bygone times and secret places…” aka`bea
“sMacshot has the unerring ability to take an apparently meaningless subject – such as a weed growing out of a wall – and lay on the ‘Hollywood’ treatment, turning it into a distant vision of glamorous beauty.” fitzhughfella
1. Susan, we know it’s a tough question, but if you had to pick just one camera to shoot with from now until the end of time, what would that be?
Susan: As much as I love my plastic cameras because they seem to deliver the message in my ‘native tongue’, I suppose I’d miss the versatility of my digital Canon Powershot G6. Though digital may produce messages in a different language, part of the fun is then translating them into ones that feel right to me.
2. A (possibly) tough question… Tell us your favourite photos on Flickr, and why you like them. First, a favourite from your photostream?
Susan: I have found very old expired film has yielded so many unexpected treasures time and time again. (Hmm, this is making me rethink Question 1 above!)
And from another Flickr member?
Susan: I find Gary Isaacs to be one artist who consistently drops my jaw with each new upload. I love visiting his world which seems so distant from the one I experience. On top of being an incredible photographer, Gary is an amazing writer, making his visitors see and feel something new each time.
3. What’s one tip that you would share with someone who’s just picking up a camera?
Susan: Don’t ever think that you can’t capture what you see with your soul. And if the result doesn’t happen right away, don’t stop trying.
4. When we interview peeps for employment here at Team Flickr, we always ask: “Kittens, babies, sunsets or flowers? Pick one.”
Susan: Oh I could do any one of those, but my presentation might not be standard. I think I like kitty-cats best!
5. Which Flickr member should we ask these 5 questions of next?
Susan: Everytime I visit minas’ photos, my jaw drops a little, I stop breathing, and I realize that I haven’t blinked for minutes.
Heather: Thanks, Susan — it’s been a pleasure. We’ll be back soon when we ask 5 Questions of Minas Papadopoulos.
Photos from sMacshot, gary isaacs, °Kristamas, and minαs.
Previously, 5 Questions for Kevin Meredith, Steph Goralnick, Olivia Wright, Eric Lafforgue, Maciej Dakowicz, Swiatek Wojtkowiak, Bart Pogoda, and Brett Walker.