1. Please introduce yourself. Who are you? What do you do? How long have you been into photography?
Hi Everyone, my name is Eszter Vály. I am a Hungarian based photographer, my main subjects are portraits and landscapes. It is going to be 10 years now in October since I started my photography project about my grandmother, Mima.
2. In one sentence, please describe what you captured in this shot.
Just her as she remembered back to her past.
3. Why did you select this photo to share?
I felt this photograph of her was really honest. I loved the lighting of the room and Mima’s expression. I felt like I was watching a painting.
4. What style of photography would you describe this as and do you typically take photographs in this style?
I think I have my own style.
5. When and where was this photo taken?
This photograph was taken on September 9th, 2022 in Budapest, Hungary.
6. Was anyone with you when you took this photo?
No – just me and my grandmother Mima.
7. What equipment (hardware and software) did you use?
That time I was using a Nikon D610 full frame camera with a 50mm 1.8G lens. Since then I have upgraded my equipments to a Nikon Z6II camera with a 28-75mm 2.8G lens. To edit my photographs I use Adobe Camera Raw and Adobe Photoshop.
8. What drew you to choose this photo?
I am always taking my camera with me if I visit Mima and I know that I am going to take at least one nice photograph of her. It was just one of those beautiful moments from the many that I experience with her.
9. How many attempts did it take to get this shot? How long did it take you to get one that you were satisfied with?
Many attempts but it absolutely was worth it! I think the secret is patience. Once I find the composition through my camera’s viewfinder I am going to have that one shot what I wanted.
10. Did you edit (or do any post-processing/production on) this photo?
Only just the basics like edit the contrast, tones, clarity and etc.
11. What encouraged you to share this photo online and with others?
Since I started this project many of my friends, family members, and Flickr’s community have praised this series so that encouraged me.
12. Did you learn anything in the process of taking, editing, or sharing this photo?
During the years I have learnt that I have to be patient and practice a lot to get those photographs that I want.
13. Do you remember what you had for breakfast (or lunch or dinner) the day you took this
Yes, I think I had boiled eggs with vegetables and toast.
14. What would you like people to take away from this photo?
To be patient and understanding with their models and pay attention to them.
15. Is there any feedback that you’d like to get on this shot?
I am not expecting everyone to leave feedback. If you like my photos it makes me really happy.
16. How can anyone reading this support your work?
If you like my work, please follow and share it.
About Eszter Vály
Eszter Vály is a Budapest-based photographer who has been taking photographs for about 10 years now. Her main subjects are portraits, landscapes, and nature. She started her ‘Mima’ project in 2013 as a school project when her grandmother was 89. She is now 99 years old and Eszter’s portrait of her won the “People” category in Flickr’s “Your Best Shot 2022” contest.